≡ Menu

Bennett, Francis

[Click any image to enlarge. Buddy passed away in 2010. Notice provided by Jacee McCluckie, 13-Feb-2011.]

[Yearbook] Francis Bennett

Francis Bennett

“Buddy” … well built and good-looking … wants to own a ’55 Mercury … cars are his hobby … future indefinite.
Born 12-Aug-1937, Norwalk, CT
Died 17-Sep-2010, Derby, CT
Age 73


[Reprinted from the funeral home website.]

Francis L. Bennett Jr., 73, of Derby, beloved husband of Joanne, died unexpectedly at his home, in his sleep, on September 17, 2010. He was born in Norwalk, Connecticut, a son of Francis and Mary (Marushak) Bennett.

He lived his life helping others through his vast knowledge of trucking and mechanics.

Mr. Bennett, known as “Bud” to all his friends, was retired and spent many days puttering at home doing odd jobs around the house.

He was a lifelong member of the American Legion in North Troy and was a member of the Teamsters Association.

[Funeral home website] "Bud" Bennett

Grandpa Bud

Mr. Bennett loved to drive the “big trucks” and spent most of his life traveling up and down the highways and byways. He worked at his father’s company, Bennett Petroleum Transportation in Wilton, Connecticut. After leaving Connecticut and moving to Vermont, for many years he owned a garage in Lowell and then in North Troy. He ended his trucking career at Ethan Allen.

Mr. Bennett always tried to put his family first. He was a husband, father, and his most rewarding job, grandfather. He is survived by his wife of 49 years, Joanne (Atwood); his daughter, Penni Pomeroy, and her husband, Ted, from Sagamore Beach, Massachusetts; his son, Michael, and his wife, Cathy, of West Charleston; daughter, Patricia, from Derby. His grandchildren: Brandon, Amanda, Abby, Brian and Sarah will miss him and have fond memories of their grandfather. He also leaves behind his family in Connecticut and California. He was predeceased by his parents.

A graveside service with military honors will be held at 2 p.m. on Thursday, September 23, at the Derby Center Cemetery. Should friends desire, contributions in his memory may be made to the Derby Line Ambulance Service, care of Brian Fletcher, P.O. Box 105, Derby Line, Vermont 05830.

Online condolences may be sent to the family through the funeral home website at www.curtis-britch-converse-rushford.com.

Classmate Recollection

By George (Cliff) Clifford… I remember Bud as an all-around good guy of the Wilton persuasion. I didn’t get to know him until our sophomore year, beginning with our joining the a capella choir and men’s glee club. There was one event that I will always recall with some amusement.

1938 Mercury Coupe

As the time approached for me to be licensed and to own my own wheels (senior year…?), I learned that Bud had recently replaced his old ’38 Merc coupe (not sure of the year) with newer wheels. Curious, I asked him what became of the Merc. He replied that it was sitting in his yard up on blocks.

“Does it run”, I asked (it’s true what they, isn’t it: “You can’t fix stupid…” :-)

“Well, it could use a little work”, he replied.

Uncontrollably driven by some relentless adolescent male chromosome, I asked: “How much?”

We settled on what seemed—at this remote date—to be a fair price. $25.00.

Soon after, borrowing my dad’s car, I motored up Route 33 to find my newly purchased Merc coupe. I did, indeed, find it “on his property” (or someone’s) but sort of in the woods and up on blocks. Much like any self-respecting abandoned vehicle would be. It looked something like the photo, above, but not in such pristine condition. Although not sure of the model year of the car in the photo, I do think Bud’s had that signature Merc grill.

I took one look, made a U-turn and never returned. One look was enough to discourage the merest thought of resuscitation on my part. Out of pride, I suppose, I never asked Bud to reimburse the $25.

Fifty years later at our 50th reunion, Bud and I acknowledged each other after dinner with a mutual wave and a grin. I was tempted to ask for my 25 bucks back (as a joke, of course), but there were too many people in the way and not enough time to begin a 50-year “catch-up” conversation. So that was that.

Farewell, my friend. I am very saddened by your passing. You were as well-liked as anyone in our class…

South Yarmouth, MA
March 18, 2011